I was born in 1985. Great things happened in 85. So I did a littleYouTube digging and found a gem of a video! Enjoy!
I LOVE 80’s Music. I keep an 80’s playlist on my computer, in my phone and tablet and keep a CD in the car. I may not have a many memories of that time, but shoot, I can say I appreciate it now. We Built This City on Rock and Roll, we jammed it, we slammed it, we snorted it. You name it, the 80’s did it!
- It was the Madonna nation. “Like a Virgin” and “Crazy for You” were number one hits.
- Nintendo Gaming System was announced.
- Coka-Cola changed their formula. The new and improved formula.( Less than 6 months later they returned to the original formula )
- Murder She Wrote, Cheers, Family Ties, 60 Minutes and The Cosby Show were the top 5 TV shows.
- Spies Like Us, Rocky IV, Back to the Future were box office hits
- The gas price was $1.09, A movie ticket was $2.75, postal stamp was .22¢
- The Eastern half of North America is hit with an exceptionally cold winter, one of the worst in recorded history.
- Volcanic Eruption in Columbia kills 25,000
- Route 66 is removed from the United States Highway System.
- A joint American-French expedition locates the wreck of the RMS Titanic.
The drug war was sending the US into a panic. At the beginning of 1985, crack, a potent crystalline form of cocaine, was practically an unknown—and unused—drug in the United States. By late 1985, the drug was beginning to be used extensively in urban areas, and the press accorded prominent coverage to it. Healthcare providers were stunned on the high numbers of “crack-babies”. Pablo Escobars reign was still threatening the US adding to the drug panic. Finally ending with his death in 1993.
- U.S. President Ronald Reagan is sworn in for a second term in office.
- The Food and Drug Administration approves a blood test for AIDS, used since then to screen all blood donations in the United States.
- Microsoft Corporation releases the first version of Windows, Windows 1.0.
As you can see a lot of things happened in 1985. None I remember personally, but I enjoyed delving back into history. And in doing so, I delved into the photo albums and snagged a couple goodies!
I hope you enjoyed your trip down memory lane. Lets do it again soon!
Cheers from The Hood